Blumberg’s Nursing Home (BNH) is a 100-bed Medicare and Medicaid certified facility in suburban Philadelphia, PA. The administrator recently terminated the facility’s Director of Nursing (DON), receptionist, and dietary aid for inappropriate conduct. They had all been involved in purchasing and using illegal substances on facility grounds. Facility staff, as well as many of the more lucid residents, have found out about the incident.
The charge nurse has been appointed interim DON. The human resource manager has sent a memo to all staff informing them of a mandatory staff meeting to discuss BNH’s code of ethics and to provide additional training on workplace culture. Because federal law requires that there be at least one (1) registered nurse on duty for a minimum of eight (8) hours a day, seven (7) days a week, and that the DON must be a registered nurse (RN) – which the interim DON is not – BNH is out of compliance.(4-6) page paper in which you:
- Assess the immediate staffing needs at BNH. Prioritize the order in which BNH should fill the main unstaffed position(s). Justify your selection(s).
- Considering the reason behind the termination of the employees, formulate a human resources policy that addresses inappropriate conduct in the workplace, the process of reporting inappropriate conduct, and the consequences of violating the policy. Explain your rationale.
- Per the text, an effective long-term care facility administrator must have both leadership and management skills. Propose at least one (1) way the administrator in this case must demonstrate quality leadership skills, and one (1) way the administrator must demonstrate quality management skills in the aftermath of this crisis so as to improve and maintain staff and resident morale.
- Recommend a strategy for BNH to use the Quality Indicator Survey to improve administrative practices and ensure future compliance at the facility. Justify your recommendation.
- Use at least three quality academic resources. Note: Wikipedia and other similar websites do not qualify as academic resources.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.