1. Weigh the irregular solid provided by your instructor. Record its identity and mass on the report sheet.
2. Fill the 100mL graduated cylinder between 50 mL and 70 mL with water.
3. Record this initial volume (V1) on the report sheet.
4. Gently place the irregular solid into the graduated cylinder. This is best accomplished by tilting the graduated cylinder and sliding the solid into the water. This will avoid splashing.
5. Record the new volume (V2) of water plus the irregular solid.
6. Determine the total volume displaced by difference (V2 – V1).
7. Calculate the density of the irregular solid by dividing the mass of the solid by the volume of water it displaced.